Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Golden Legacy

I have the good fortune of living  reasonably close to the Irving Arts Center which has hosted some really wonderful children's book art exhibits.  Several months ago we saw an assortment of Ed Young originals and this past weekend we went to see their current exhibit of original, mostly older, Golden Books covers.

I grew up with a number of Eloise Wilkins books.  I've always loved her sweet depictions of childhood and was so happy to see three of her originals:

 One of my all-time favorite illustrators, Trina Schart Hyman, had an original I'd never seen before on display:
 I love the retro look of some of these paintings.  You can see the heavy influence of these older works on so many of the current new wave of retro-styled artists popping up these days.
 I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to see such great works first-hand.  It's worth stopping by if you're in the neighborhood.

No comments: