Thursday, September 10, 2009

Squirrels in Autumn

Well, I was able to come back and finish up this painting (see entry Squirrels & Stick Insects) much sooner than expected:The butterfly in the painting is very loosely modeled on an American Painted Lady. When I was growing up, I had the opportunity to raise a painted lady from caterpillar to butterfly. It was so exciting as a child to watch the caterpillar spin its chrysalis and then emerge as a beautiful butterfly. I named him Pillarpoofer in a nod to my uncle who I was told in his early childhood years referred to caterpillars as "pillarpoofers."

2 comments:

Diane said...

Phylis
Squirrels in Autumn is absolutely beautiful!!!!
What talent.
I love chipmunks and squirrels and you captured this "little one"
Best of luck!
Diane

Phyllis said...

Thanks Diane! So glad you like it!